Bossier Sheriff Julian Whittington is offering concealed handgun training on Saturday, Feb. 25, for those who want obtain their Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit.
The training will be begin at 8:30 a.m. at the Bossier Sheriff’s Office range located at 2977 Old Plain Dealing Road in Plain Dealing. You’ll need to register in advance by calling 318-965-3525, and the class is limited to 30 persons. The cost for the course is $100, and it’s open to all Bossier Parish residents 21 years of age and older.
The training will provide the necessary course of instruction in order to submit an application for the concealed handgun permit to the Louisiana State Police. Participants will need to bring their own weapons, a minimum of 36 rounds of ammunition and a holster they can wear. You’ll also need to bring your own eye and ear protection, but these will be available at the range as well.
More information on the concealed handgun permit and instructions on how to complete the application can be found at https://chp-web.dps.louisiana.gov/
Call the Bossier Parish Sheriff’s Training Academy (formerly NLCJA) at (318) 965-3525 to register.
Here are some tips for the online application and items to send in:
- Both sets of fingerprint cards. The print cards are only good for 60 days, so don’t wait too long.
- Copy of the Certificate of Training you were given after you completed the shooting portion of the class.
- Copies of divorce decrees or other legal forms.
- DD Form 214, copy of Military ID Card, and/or copy of current orders (military veterans). If you need to request a misplaced DD Form 214 you can do so online at: https://www.archives.gov/veterans/
- Copy of your La Driver’s License or La ID Card.
Remember, since you are doing an online application, you do not need the notarized affidavits and you will not send them any money. You will pay online when the Louisiana State Police emails you the “pay here” link after they begin processing your application roughly 120 days from now.
To start your application, fill out the initial application form at the link above, and then you can begin the complete online application a few minutes later after you’ve received an email back from them with your login PIN number and information.