Home Life History HISTORY: FOURTH OF JULY IN 1938

HISTORY: FOURTH OF JULY IN 1938

1929
0

In its June 30, 1938 issue the Bossier Banner reported that a barbecue complete with three ball games and a dance was to take place in Linton on the Fourth of July.

 

“A gala Fourth of July celebration is planned at the Midway Ball Park, next Monday, July 4th, it was announced some days ago.  The events scheduled for the day include a barbecue, double-header ball game and a dance that night.”

 

“The barbecue will be prepared under the direction of Police Juror A. L. (Tamp) Bundy, and will be sold at a reasonable price, by the pound.  Families are invited to bring their picnic lunches—all but the barbecue—and enjoy the occasion.”

 

“During the morning, beginning at 10:30, the Leon Johnson baseball team will play the Bellevue team in a single game, and during the afternoon, starting at 2:15 the Welori boys [In late 1927, brothers S.P & T.L. Weaver, Frank W. Looney, and Jeff Rivers incorporated to form the WELORI Lumber Company (acronym from the first two letters of each last name). WELORI continued its operations until the early 1940s.] will play the strong Libby-Owens- Ford team, from Shreveport, in two games.  Admission for this special attraction will be but 20 cents.  The WELORI team will have two of the best amateur pitchers in this new section to do the hurling for them—Henry DeBroeck and Cy Zeigler, while Libby-Owens- Ford will have Paul Lebenne, sensational south-paw who struck out 21 of Henderson (Texas) batters lately to do the pitching for them.”

 

“Beginning at eight o’clock in the evening and lasting until midnight, a dance will be given at the Linton Club House.  Admission will be 75 cents a couple.  A good dance orchestra from Shreveport has been secured and a good time is in store for all who attend.”

 

“All profits made on the ball game will go to pay the indebtedness of the club, while profits on the dance will go to finish paying for some of the materials used on the club house.”

 

“People from this entire section are invited to attend this celebration, the third of its kind to be staged at Linton in the past few years.”

 

About the Fourth of July celebration, the paper’s next week’s issue reported only that the WELORI baseball team won the first game against the Libby-Owens-Ford team, but lost the second game against the Libby-Owens-Ford team.

 

It is interesting to note that with this issue the Bossier Banner celebrated its 79th birthday, having been founded by W. H. Scanland on July 1, 1859.

 

Much more information about Bossier Parish and its celebrations can be learned at the Bossier Parish Library Historical Center, so pay us a visit.

Ann Middleton is Director of the Bossier Parish Library Historical Center. She can be reached at (318) 746-7717 or amiddlet@state.lib.la.us.