For a number of years, the Commission for Women of Bossier City, Inc. supported the efforts of the YWCA during the annual Women’s Week events, and hosted the week’s final Luncheon. However, with the loss of the YWCA presence in the community, the Commission decided to continue the week of events and created Inspiring Women Week. In 2012 the Commission honored Women in the Military, and proceeds benefited the Domestic Violence Program at the Providence House and Family Support Services at Barksdale Air Force Base.
This year the theme is “Women in Education.” The celebration includes a kickoff breakfast, networking event, evening of pampering, painting at the Bossier Arts Council, self defense demonstration, internet crimes seminar and a Face Fair. The proceeds from this year’s events will benefit Northwest Louisiana Food Bank’s Back Pack Program and the Bossier Learning Center’s Adult Literacy Program.
March 6-13, the Commission for Women of Bossier City, Inc. will host Inspiring Women Week. The schedule of events includes:
- March 6 – 8-9:30a.m. is the Kickoff Breakfast at the University of Phoenix at the Louisiana Boardwalk, featuring Speaker Jan Elkins. Tickets are $10.
- March 7 - 5-7 p.m. is Alive at Five at Hilton Garden Inn, 2015 Old Minden Road.
- March 8 - 4-6 p.m. is Relaxing Recess at Bossier Council on Aging. Come pamper yourself after a hard week. Enjoy a facial, a chair massage and relaxation tips. Tickets are $10.
- March 9th – Crime Prevention Day begins at 9 a.m. with Self Defense Class by Heidi Chapman at Pak’s Karate; 10 a.m. is a Class on Internet Safety by Shelley Anderson, Bossier City Marshal’s Office.
- March 10 - Family Day. You are encouraged to honor an educator. Invite one to lunch or church.
- March 11 - Women, Wine and Paintbrushes from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the Bossier Arts Council.
- March 12 – 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. is Face Fair at Willis-Knighton Bossier Auditorium featuring Dr. Futtrell and Dr. Glorioso. Box lunch included. Tickets are $6.
- March 13 – 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. is Inspiring Women Week Luncheon Honoring Women in Education Bossier Civic Center. Tickets are $25 each, call 747-0597 to order.
The Commission is also preparing for one of its main endeavors — The Bossier Women Leaders of Tomorrow Program. This is a mentoring project developed to enrich the educational experience of Bossier Parish high school senior women. The mentees participate in various events and programs that cover a broad range of topics and include: job shadowing opportunities, cultural events, political forums, and governmental exposure through a City Council Meeting and Courthouse Tour. Each mentee is eligible to receive a small leadership award.
The Comission was established in 1986 to act as an advocacy agency for women in the Bossier City area. It is comprised of 25 women who offer their efforts to promote and further legal, political, economic and educational opportunities for the advancement of women in the Bossier City area and enhance the quality of life for all area residents, particularly women and families, dedicating time to examining family and women's issues in the community.