Benton High School will again host the local jr.nba Skills Challenge on Saturday.
The competition starts at noon. While there is no charge to participate, all participants must register online at https://jrnbaskillschallenge.leagueapps.com/events/3002437
“The Jr. NBA Skills Challenge provides boys and girls, ages 13 and younger, the opportunity to improve upon and showcase their fitness through five fundamental basketball skills: shooting, lay-ups, dribbling, passing, and defense,” the Skills Challenge website states.
“The program is free for all participants and organizations. Boys and girls compete separately in two different age groups: 11U and 13U. Participants compete in up to three levels of competition – Local, Regional, and National Finals.
“Participants will compete in each of the five standardized skills to earn a total cumulative time resulting in a final score:
- Dribbling – Challenges participants in stationary, zig-zag, and speed dribbling.
- Shooting – Challenges participants to make jump shots from the elbow.
- Lay-Up – Challenges participants to make lay-up shots.
- Passing – Challenge participants to accurately pass towards a wall target and receive a pass.
- Defense and Bonus Free Throw – Challenges participants in defensive lane slides, sprinting, and free throw shooting.”
— Featured photo of Dallas Regional winner Khia Thomas of Elm Grove courtesy of Todd Martinez