An article in the April 19, 1928 issue of the Bossier Banner editorialized the use of buses, also called “transfers,” to transport school children.
“There used to be a day when well-meaning residents of Bossier Parish took a stand against the then new practice of transporting school children from outlying districts to the more centrally located schools. They were not so much against transportation as for the little country schools. That was their viewpoint. Don’t abandon the little country school was their plea. Keep it—and the little country church, too. They have not both ‘had their day,’ but the little country school is surely passing fast.”
“By reason of being centrally located the schools in the towns out on the front have a larger attendance, larger and better buildings., fuller equipment and larger faculties. These things, essential to a school’s growth, were recognized and, with a desire to make their advantages more general, the authorities cast about for a means to do so. Transportation was the answer. We have learned that in a sparsely settled section we can’t have many good schools, but that we can transport many pupils to the few high schools that we have. It is to be seen at first blush that it is more feasible to do so.”
“The practice of transporting pupils to the larger schools has grown fast here in Bossier Parish, and continues to grow. The average number enrolled to be transported during the first seven months of the 1926-27 term was 880; during the first seven months of the 1927-28 term, 1035. The average number transported during the first seven months of the 1926-27 term was 787; the average number for the first seven months of the 1927-28 term, 932. Thus are the children of educable age in Bossier Parish served, and thus do the schools, fed by a growing string of transportation vans, continue to grow.”
“The transportation of school pupils seems a success here in Bossier Parish.”
To learn more about the early school buses in Bossier Parish, and to see photographs of them, visit the Bossier Parish Library Historical Center.
Ann Middleton is Director of the Bossier Parish Library Historical Center. She can be reached at (318) 746-7717 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org