Home News-Free Carbon monoxide poisoning sends two to hospital

Carbon monoxide poisoning sends two to hospital

The Bossier City Fire Department transported two people to a local hospital this morning after they were exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide inside a home.

Fire and EMS personnel responded to a residence in the 1200 block of Waller Avenue at about 7:30 a.m. in reference to the smell of natural gas inside the house.

When crews arrived they found some of the seven occupants exhibiting varying degrees of symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning including nausea, vomiting and dizziness. Firefighters also detected high levels of carbon monoxide inside the house that were suspected of coming from the home’s central heating unit which operates on natural gas.

Two of occupants, both adult males, were transported to Willis-Knighton South in Shreveport. Both were responsive and it is believed their conditions are not life threatening.

Exposure to carbon monoxide, or CO, can be fatal. It’s often called “the silent killer” since you cannot see, taste, or smell it. It can be created when fossil fuels, such as kerosene, gasoline, coal, natural gas, propane, methane or wood do not burn properly.

The Bossier City Fire Department recommends residents take steps to making sure their home heating systems and appliances are working correctly to prevent situations like the one this morning from happening.

The United States Fire Administrations offers these prevention tips:

  • Install and maintain CO alarms inside your home to provide early warning of carbon monoxide.
  • CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside each separate sleeping area, on every level of the home, and in other locations where required by applicable laws, codes or standards..
  • Have fuel-burning heating equipment (fireplaces, furnaces, water heaters, wood stoves, coal stoves, space heaters and portable heaters) and chimneys inspected by a professional every year.
  • Make sure dampers are open for proper ventilation before using a fireplace.
  • Never use your oven or stovetop to heat your home.
  • When purchasing new heating and cooking equipment, select products tested and labeled by a recognized testing laboratory.
  • Make sure all fuel-burning vented equipment is vented to the outside to avoid CO poisoning. Keep the venting for exhaust clear and unblocked.
Previous articleRebecca “Becky” Ann Gordon Cole
Next articleTraffic stop leads to drug arrest of two