LA State Troopers urge caution on North Louisiana roadways
The Louisiana DOTD will begin pretreating both primary and secondary roadways tonight. In Northwest Louisiana, the following roadways will be closed at 8:00 p.m. to enable DOTD personnel to concentrate their efforts on pretreating:
• I-49 in Shreveport
• I-49 north of LA 1/US 71 to Arkansas
• I-220 Shreveport/Bossier
• Railroad overpass on LA 3/Benton Road in Bossier City
• Lake Bistineau dam bridge
Ice will be possible this evening into tomorrow morning on roadways in Northern Louisiana. Some refreezing of lingering moisture may occur on elevated surfaces such as bridges and overpasses as temperatures fall tonight. Motorists are advised to use caution when traveling over these elevated roadways.
DOTD crews will be out throughout the night treating roadways and monitoring conditions. If no further precipitation or icing occurs, crews plan to reopen the aforementioned roadways prior to the morning commute.
The Louisiana State Police urges motorists to keep abreast of the latest weather and travel conditions before deciding whether a trip is necessary as rain or sleet can cause bridges and overpasses to ice quickly, particularly in the evening and early morning hours if temperatures are below or near the freezing mark. If conditions deteriorate, motorists are encouraged to refrain from driving until conditions improve. If ice accumulates on bridges or overpasses, the Louisiana State Police will work closely with the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development to take appropriate measures.
Motorists are reminded to drive responsibly and be prepared for the possibility of slippery driving conditions. The Louisiana State Police offers the following winter weather driving tips:
• Reduce speed
• Allow extra time to reach your destination
• Allow extra space between vehicles
• Do not drive using the cruise control in icy conditions
• Anticipate stops (such as stop signs and traffic signals) and brake gently while stopping
• If you encounter a skid, take your foot off accelerator and steer into the skid until you regain control
• Use low beam headlights if it is raining or sleeting
• Ensure all vehicle occupants are properly restrained
If you experience difficulties or witness hazardous situations while on the highway, you may notify the nearest State Police Troop office by dialing *LSP (*577) from your cell phone or contact your local law enforcement agency.