The Bossier City Fire Department responded to a fire this morning that heavy damaged a unit at a local apartment complex.
Firefighters were called to the Tallow Wood Apartments in the 2600 block of Airline Drive at 10 a.m. after receiving a report of smoke coming from a third floor apartment unit. The first crews arrived on the scene within three minutes and found flames and heavy smoke coming from the apartment.
Firefighters immediately made entry and began battling the blaze which had spread into the attic. Several surrounding apartments were evacuated as a precaution. Firefighters were able to bring the fire under control in about 30 minutes and kept it contained to that unit while some surrounding units sustained varying degrees of smoke and water damage.
Before firefighters got to the scene, maintenance personnel managed to rescue a dog from inside the burning apartment. One of them sustained minor smoke inhalation and was checked out at the scene by BCFD paramedics however he did not need to be transported to a hospital. There were no other reported injuries.
No one was at home at the time of the fire. Preliminary results of an investigation by the BCFD Fire Prevention Bureau indicate the fire appears to have been ignited by a burner on kitchen stove top that was left on.