The LSUS Alumni Association Annual Meeting Party was held June 13 at The Petroleum Club of Shreveport. A “Celebrate the Sixties” theme was carried out with life-sized vehicle standees, brightly-colored gerbera daisy centerpieces with peace symbol ribbons, and vintage photos from the early days of the LSUS Campus. Darrell and Claire Rebouche and Scott Wolf and his fiancée Melinda Denton won first prize for their fabulous costumes.
The 2014 Distinguished Alumni Award was presented to James N. (Jim) Fritze, for his service and generosity to LSUS. Fritze is the Dealer Owner for Red River Motor Company. He received his Bachelor of General Studies from LSUS in 1995, two days before his 70th birthday. After serving on the LSUS Chancellor’s Advisory Council and as a founding member of the LSUS Foundation, Fritze decided to pursue the 45 hours of third- and fourth-year courses he lacked after accumulating various hours during his 10 years in the US Navy. He is a founding member of the LSUS Foundation, a former LSUS Foundation Board member and a supporter of the Foundation’s gala, RiverBend Revue. He has received numerous community awards including Bossier Chamber Small Business Person of the Year, March of Dimes Citizen of the Year, Junior Achievement Business Hall of Fame Laureate, and ArkLaTex Agricultural Council Man of the Year. He was one of the inaugural LSUS Circle of Excellence Award recipients in 2007. Fritze has also served as President of many organizations, including the Shreveport-Bossier New Car Dealers Association, the Bossier Chamber of Commerce, the Shreveport-Bossier Foundation, the Junior Achievement of Shreveport-Bossier, and the Shreveport Parents League.
Eight Circle of Excellence Award winners were also honored. The award was instituted in 2007 for the LSU Shreveport 40th Anniversary to honor alumni for leadership and professional achievements. The recipients were as follows:
- Michael T. Ferrell (BS, Accounting 1975); Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs LSUS, since 1994; President and Shreveport Little Theatre
- Amanda B. Gouthiere (BA Sociology 2001; MS Human Services Administration 2005); Executive Director, Shreveport Metropolitan Opera; Chamber of Commerce 40 Under 40 Award, 2009
- Scott J. Hardwick, MBA (BS Computer Science 1995; MBA 2000); Assistant Director, Information Technology Services, LSUS; Chamber of Commerce 40 Under 40 Award, 2009
- Shelby C. Keith, MS, CCP (BS Management & Administration 1981; Master of Systems Technology 1991); Chief Information Officer, LSUS; Executive Committee of the Higher Education Technology Group
- Norma Jean Paris, M.Ed. (BA Education 1975; SSP 1985); School Psychologist (Retired); 25 years with Caddo and Bossier Schools School Psychologist of the Year, State of Louisiana, 2001
- John S. Vassar, Ph.D. (BA History, 1991); Interim Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, LSUS; Founding Board member, Robinson Film Center
- Shannon D. Wall (BA English 1992; M.Ed. 2004); Principal, Donnie Bickham Middle School; 5-time District 1-4A Coach of the Year
- George D. Wray, III (MBA 2013); President/Owner, Wray Ford Inc. ; n Board member and director, Crime Stoppers of Shreveport.
- Dr. Paul Sisson, Interim Chancellor at LSUS, was honored with a special Leadership Award. The 2013-2014 Alumni Board created the award to recognize Sisson’s “leadership under challenging circumstances.” During his two-year tenure, Sisson led the way to many new developments and firsts at LSUS, including 5 new undergraduate programs through the LSU System’s LSUS Commitment Plan, the addition of an LSUS office at Bossier Parish Community college and subsequent launch of the BPCC @LSUS program, the first LSUS doctoral program, the Ed.D in Leadership Studies, and the LSUS @ccelerated program offering 8-week courses in selected subjects.