The annual Toys for Tots drive is in full swing and the Bossier Parish Libraries have donation boxes in place at these branches: Bossier Central, Aulds, Haughton, and Plain Dealing.
As always, we thank you for your generous donations. The smiles on the children’s faces when they receive these gifts are priceless. (We ask that you please do not wrap the toys)
Speaking of the holidays, stress can take a toll on us if we are not careful. Too many things to do and not enough hours in the day can make for a miserable holiday season. Before you get all worked up at the very thought of it, pause and take a breath because help is on the way. On Wednesday, November 20, at 6 p.m. at the Bossier Central Library, Dr. Mary Jo Fitz-Gerald will conduct a workshop entitled “Coping with Holiday Stress.”
Dr. Fitz-Gerald is Professor of Clinical Psychiatry and Vice-Chair of Psychiatry Education at LSUHSC-Shreveport. The program is sponsored by an outreach award provided by the National Network of Libraries of Medicine, South Central Region.
Learn how to navigate the shopping, cooking, family get-togethers, and parties with less anxiety. Dr. Fitz-Gerald will provide insight on how to approach these dilemmas for a happier holiday season.
Make a note:
- All Bossier Parish Libraries will be closed on the following dates: Monday, November 11 for Veteran’s Day; Thursday & Friday, November 28-29 for Thanksgiving.
- The Bossier Parish Libraries are grateful for their patrons. In appreciation the libraries are offering Fine Forgiveness Weeks, November 4-17. Donate non-perishable items to the Food Bank of Northwest Louisiana and all late fees will be waived. Boxes are located at each branch. (Overdue laptops, lost or damaged items are not included)
- The Shreveport Art Club Show is on exhibit at the Bossier Central Library during November. There is a variety of mixed media works on display. If you are interested in purchasing any of them, you can contact the artists directly.
- Thursday, November 14 at 6p.m., Dr. Cheryl White of LSU-Shreveport will present “Confederate General Leonidas Polk — Louisiana’s Fighting Bishop.” The program will be in the History Center located adjacent to the Central Library. Contact Pam Carlisle at (318) 746-7717 for more information.
- Saturday, November 16, is International Game Day. Teens ages 13-18 are invited to join in video games and board games from 1-3p.m. at Bossier Central Library. Call Tonya at (318) 746-1693.
- Wednesday, November 20 from 3:45-4:45 p.m., at Bossier Central Library children ages 9 and up are invited to stop by with their parents to assemble sweet turkey treats for decorating and eating! Sign up for this arts and crafts time at the Reference Desk or call the Central Library.
“The Spymistress” by Jennifer Chiaverini
“The Ghost Bride” by Yangsze Choo
“A Bride for Noah” by Lori Copeland
“Early Decision” by Lacy Crawford
“Dark City” by F. Paul Wilson
“How the Light Gets In” by Louise Penny
“Brewster” by Mark Slouka
“The Woman Who Lost Her Soul” by Bob Shacochis
“Heart of Palm” by Laura Lee Smith
“Wool” by Hugh Howey
“The Distancers” by Lee Sandlin
“Empty Mansions” by Bill Dedman
“Still Foolin’ ‘Em” by Billy Crystal
“Turn around Bright Eyes” by Rob Sheffield
“Walden on Wheels” by Ken Ilgunas
“The Yarn Whisperer” by Clara Parkes
“Top of the Morning” by Brian Stelter
“The Elementary Teacher’s BIG BOOK of Graphic Organizers” by Katherine S. McKnight
“Ninety Percent of Everything” by Rose George
“The Omni Diet” by Tana Amen
Vickie Hardin is Outreach Specialist for the Bossier Parish Library. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org