Bossier Parish Libraries and Shreve Memorial Library are partnering for a twin parish scavenger hunt during the weeks July 14—26. This will kick off the second phase of the Geek the Library campaign. We want you to visit as many libraries and participating businesses on both sides of the river as possible and are offering some great prizes as an incentive.
The object is to find the “secret geek” phrase at each location. To play, pick up a contest log and list of participating businesses at any Bossier or Caddo Parish Library. There will be a raffle for the Grand Prize, a Kindle. Other prizes will also be awarded to the first person to finish and the person who visits the most locations.
- Collect at least 15 correct “secret geek” phrases.
- Of the 15 locations, 4 must be libraries in Bossier Parish and 4 must be libraries in Caddo Parish; the remaining 7 must be from participating businesses.
- Library cards are not required to participate. However, if you apply for and receive a library card within this two-week period, you will be given a second raffle entry.
- Except for qualifying new card holders there can only be one entry per person.
- There is only one prize per entry.
- Turn your completed contest logs in at any library branch.
Good luck to all scavenger hunters.
Sign Up Saturday will be Saturday, July 12 from 10a.m. to 2p.m. at the Bossier Civic Center. This annual event is a free Youth Sports, Health and Wellness Expo sponsored by the Bossier Healthcare Foundation.
Families are invited to bring their children to enjoy games and other activities like the Body Walk “a walk-through exhibit representing the human body.” They can also sign up for Bossier Parks and Recreation Football, Soccer and Basketball leagues. Please bring birth certificates if you are interested in these sports activities.
Free health screenings will be available for children as well as free immuinations provided by Shots for Tots.
This event is always great fun and a perfect time to prepare kids for the upcoming school year.
Make a note:
- Thursday, July 10, at 2p.m. the Bossier Central Adult Summer Reading Program presents Dr. Larry Snyder with Bossier Animal Hospital. Dr. Snyder will discuss Veterinary Health.
- Thursday, July 17, at 2p.m. at the Bossier Central Library Ricky Kilpatrick with LSU Ag Center will discuss plants.
- For more information about these programs call (318) 746-1693.
“Good Kings Bad Kings” by Susan Nussbaum
“Where Earth Meets Water” by Pia Padukone
“Desperate” by Daniel Palmer
“Clever Fox: A Dani Fox Novel” by Jeanine Pirro
“Bellweather Rhapsody” by Kate Racculia
“Things We Set on Fire” by Deborah Reed
“The Whole Golden World” by Kristina Riggle
“The Kept” (Lg. Print) by James Scott
“Falling to Earth” by Kate Southwood
“Bone Dust White” by Karin Salvalaggio
“Own It: Be the Boss of Your Life at Home and in the Workplace” by Tabitha Coffey
“Family: The Good F-word” by Troy Dunn
“Blue Collar Conservatives” by Rick Santorum
“The Quiet Revolution” Jay F. Hein
“Convictions” by Marcus Borg
“The Sixth Extinction” by Elizabeth Kolbert
“Smart Money Smart Kids” by Dave Ramsey
“NOLO The Public Domain” Stephen Fishman
“Hope Runs” by Claire Diaz-Ortiz
“U.S. Marshalls” by Mike Earp
Vickie Hardin is Outreach Specialist for the Bossier Parish Library. She can be reached at email@example.com