While waiting for the flood water to recede, our neighbors on both sides of the Red are beginning to take stock of the damage. Bossier Parish Libraries and Shreve Memorial Library have partnered to let our patrons know we are concerned and want to help by providing resources for emergency needs.
The Anna P. Tooke Memorial Library at 451 Fairview Point Road in Elm Grove is one of the locations where residents can pick up sand bags to protect their property against the flooding water.
Because some homes have been completely submerged, many families in Bossier and Caddo Parishes have lost practically everything. These folks will need to replace most if not all of the contents inside their homes. Donations of clothing, furniture, and other household items would be much appreciated.
Goodwill Industries is a great place to start if you would like to make a donation. Red Cross and Goodwill work together in order to reach more people. At Goodwill let them know you would like your donation to be made in the name of the Red Cross. In return, the Red Cross will be able to provide vouchers in $10 increments to those in need, which can be spent at a Goodwill store.
The Salvation Army needs donations of sandwich bread, lunchmeat, hot dogs, hot dog buns, individually wrapped snackcakes, and plastic utensils to prepare meals for emergency responders working around the clock to help flood victims and secure property.
Contact information for these agencies is as follows:
Salvation Army, 200 E. Stoner Avenue, Shreveport, 424-3200
Red Cross, 805 Brookhollow Drive, Shreveport, 865-9545
Goodwill Industries, 4000 Airline Drive, Bossier City, 629-0500
402 Kings Hwy., Shreveport, 213-0610
300 Fannin Street, Shreveport, 424-4450
Go to www.floodsmart.gov to learn more about floods.
Make a note:
- Correction: Bossier Central Library Family Story Time for ages 0-2 and parents is on Wednesdays at 10a.m.; Family Story Time for ages 3-5 and parents is on Wednesdays from 11:00am – 12:00p.m.
East 80 Library 949-2665
- Thursday, June 18 from 3:30—4:30p.m., the Summer Book Club for ages 7—12 will discuss “The Drowned Vault” by N. D. Wilson.
- On Friday, June 19 at 10:30a.m., enjoy PJs and Popcorn Movie Day for ages 2—12. Wear your favorite pajamas, bring a pillow and have a snack. Movie rated PG. Registration is required.
- Thursday, June 18 at 9:30a.m., the Good Books Club will discuss “Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America” by Erik Larson
East 80 Library 949-2665
- Saturday, June 20 from 12:30—3:00p.m., Movie & Game Day for ages 6—12.
“City Beasts” by Mark Kurlansky
“A Good Killing” by Allison Leotta
“The Necessary Death of Lewis Winter” by Malcolm Mackay
“Minnow” by James E. McTeer II
“Perfect Match” by Fern Michaels
“And Sometimes I Wonder About You” by Walter Mosely
“The Country of Ice Cream Star” by Sandra Newman
“Girl At War” by Sara Novic
“Uprooted” by Naomi Novik
“The Children’s Crusade” by Ann Packer
“Write Your Business Plan” by Entrepreneur Media, Inc.
“For the Right Reasons” by Sean Lowe
“Going off Script” by Giuliana Rancic
“Gateway to Freedom” by Eric Foner
“When the Ball Drops” by Brad Garrett
“The Road to Character” by David Brooks
“Be the Best Mom You Can Be” by Marina Slayton
“The Perfect Moment” by Andy Andrews
“When Parents Part” by Penelope Leach
“Brokenomics” by Dina Gachman
Vickie Hardin is Associate Director of Public Relations for Bossier Parish Library. She can be reached at email@example.com