Home News-Free Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure set for Saturday

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure set for Saturday

The 21st  Annual Susan G. Komen Northwest Louisiana Race for the Cure will hit the streets Saturday, September 26 at Shreve City Shopping Center.  Registration is available online at www.komennwla.org.

This year’s Race theme is Krewsin’ for the Cure and representatives of each of the area Mardi Gras krewes are actively involved in the planning and will join hundreds of other volunteers to put on the event.  A “second line” parade before the Race will honor breast cancer survivors, complete with pink umbrellas and lots of music.  Survivors will be recognized by the number of years since their diagnosis.

“The quality of the 2015 Race is going to surpass any other. The Mardi Gras theme, Krewesin’ for the Cure, really brings Louisiana culture into an event that’s dedicated to raising funds to support the women of our area,” said Lindsay Dean, Executive Director of Komen NWLA.

2015 Race Chairman, Susan Shofner, is ready to let the good times roll. “My involvement with Susan G. Komen started 8 years ago as a Sleep In for the Cure participant with my co-workers at the Caddo Parish School Board.  From there, I became Captain of a team representing the Krewe of Centaur. Following the death of my good friend, Linda Johnson, from breast cancer, the urgency of finding a cure for breast cancer turned into a passion and led to my assuming the responsibility of Chair for the 2015 Race for the Cure.”

The Race is the largest fundraiser of the year for Komen NWLA.  75% of the money raised stays in a ten parish area to provide breast health education, screening (mammograms) and support to those diagnosed with breast cancer.  The other 25% supports national scientific evidence based breast cancer research.

“It is my hope that our community will come together for the purpose of celebrating breast cancer survivors, raising much-needed funds to support our friends and family who currently have breast cancer, and to continue ground-breaking research to end this dreadful disease. At the same time, Race Day will have a Mardi Gras atmosphere with the joie de vivre found in Northwest Louisiana,” added Shofner.  Maggie Martin was selected to be the honorary Race Chairman because of her longevity at The Times and her relationship with all of the Mardi Gras Krewes of Northwest Louisiana.

Registration is available online at www.komennwla.org.  The price for adults (18 & older) is $30, (11-17) is $20 and Kids for the Cure (10 and under) is $10.  There is also a Sleep in for the Cure option of $40 (t-shirts and packets will be mailed to Sleep In participants, complete with a SGK monogrammed pillowcase!)  For more information, go to www.komennwla.org or call 318-220-7050.

September 26, 2015 NWLA Race For the Cure Race Day Schedule:

Shreve City Shopping Center

7:30am– Late registration, Survivor Tent opens, Kids Corral opens

8:00am– Complimentary Survivor Breakfast

8:30am– Welcome, Pink Parade-Mardi Gras Style!

8:50am– Pink Balloon Release

9:00am– Warm Up

9:15am– 1 mile Fun Walk/Run

9:30am-5K Run/Walk

11:00am– Awards Ceremony

11:00-1pm– Lunch and Entertainment

Fun Facts:

The Komen NWLA Race for the Cure takes place Rain or Shine.  The 2012 Race was nearly a wash out when heavy downpours started the day before and continued into the early morning hours!  Runners were donning plastic garbage bags and ponchos, but the skies cleared just before the Race started.

“I am the Cure” is an educational area of the Race site to spread messaging about the importance of early detection.  Organizations that receive local grant money from Komen NWLA are also on site to provide breast health education.   The public is invited to step on board the mobile health units and see the state of the art technology available for clinical breast exams and mobile mammography.

A woman who is a LA resident, 40 years and older and doesn’t have health insurance, qualifies for a no-cost Komen NWLA funded mammogram. For more information, call 318-220-7050.

Previous articleGet it growing: Take advantage of volunteers in the garden
Next articleHanna: Interest in politics on the wane