The Bossier Banner issue of May 23, 1895 published a history of Rocky Mount whose author was noted only as “S.M.N.” The article will be submitted in two parts.
“The first settler of Rocky Mount was Mr. William Young, who came here in 1849, and built some cabins on the branch north of Rocky Mount. The next year he put up a log house on the hill, which is still standing. The old cabins were removed and converted into a meat house.”
“Mr. Eldridge Singleton built in 1853 or 1854 near the old fig tree in Dr. Irion’s orchard. He afterwards sold out to tow Jews named Keyser who put up a store. After the death of one of the Jews, the store and land was sold to Mr. Noah Phillips, who built a dwelling house across the road, which was afterwards occupied by Mr. J. H. Hughes. This house was removed and now forms a part of Capt. W. J. Hughes’ store.”
“Dr. Marlow and Mr. Philips built a house in 1853 near Mrs. Hollingsworth’s, which is now the Methodist parsonage.”
“Afterwards nearly all of Rocky Mount was sold to two brothers, Messrs. J. H. and A. B. Hughes.”
“Messrs. A. B. Hughes, B. W. Stewman and R. D. Speight put up a store in 1855, between Cpt. W. J. Hughes’ store and Mr. J. H. Hughes dwelling, which was torn down and now forms a part of the store at Hughes’ Spur. In this same year (1855), Mr. Philips built for Mr. A. B. Hughes, the dwelling which is now occupied by Mr. Carter.”
“Mr. J. H. Hughes erected a store in 1856 near where Dr. Irion has a shop. He and Mr. William Crawford merchandised there until the breaking out of the war. This store has also been removed.”
“Rocky Mount was first called Keyserville, but when in Mr. Philips’ possession, he named it Rocky Mount on account of its situation.”
“The first post office was established in 1855. In this year the first school house was built, which was afterwards burned. The school house we now use is near the old spot. The first teacher at Rocky Mount was Mr. Wm. Robertson, nephew of Mr. J. W. Martin, who was one of the old citizen[s].”
The rest of this article will appear in next week’s issue. While it is somewhat vague, the material concurs, at least in part, with what other historians have documented about Rocky Mount. What cannot be argued is that Rocky Mount virtually disappeared when it was bypassed by the railroads.
To read everything that the historians have to say about the establishment and disappearance of Rocky Mount, visit the Bossier Parish Library Historical Center.
Ann Middleton is Director of the Bossier Parish Library Historical Center. She can be reached at (318) 746-7717 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org