SABINE PARISH- The State Fire Marshal’s Office (SFM) is continuing its investigation into the circumstances surrounding an RV fire in Zwolle that claimed the life of a male resident.
Around 6 p.m. on Friday, April 15, the North Sabine Parish Fire Department responded to a report of an RV fire located in the 1700 block of Henderson Street in Zwolle.
Firefighters learned several individuals lived in the RV, but only one, a 59-year-old man, was inside at the time. The other residents were outside visiting with a relative when they reported seeing smoke coming from inside of the RV. Those individuals made attempts to find the source of the smoke and the sole occupant, but they were unsuccessful.
Firefighters later located the victim in a bedroom area where he was last seen.
Official identification and cause of death are pending with the Sabine Parish Coroner’s Office.
Following an assessment of the scene and collecting witness statements, deputies have been unable to rule out the possibility of unsafe smoking practices or improper electrical wiring as potential causes.
The SFM is reminding Louisianans to avoid smoking indoors and to ensure all smoking materials are properly and fully extinguished. Also, it is strongly recommended to refrain from any smoking practices when tired or under the influence of alcohol or medications that make you drowsy. In addition, all spark-producing objects, like lighters, should be kept out of the reach of children.
When it comes to electrical safety, avoid connecting extension cords and power strips to create power sources where a wall outlet does not exist or between two structures. Also, only use those cords and strips for temporary purposes. And contact a licensed electrician for any electrical concerns in and around your home.
In addition, this RV did not have working smoke alarms. Smoke alarms are a proven tool to alert residents to a fire danger in order to escape safely, even in a recreational vehicle and/or mobile home.
If you need assistance obtaining smoke alarms for your home, Operations Save-A-Life can help. The program partners with local fire departments to install smoke alarms for free. To learn more about Operation Save-A-Life, visit our website at lasfm.org.